Monday, November 15, 2010

Drum Roll Please...

It’s Monday night, and I just spent the better part of an hour clearing space in my third bedroom, heretofore known as the “junk room” or on good days; the “sewing room,” to make room for my (drum roll please) “Office.” Sure, it’s only a work table and comfy folding chair, and I’m on my laptop instead of my desktop, but it works. The door is shut, so I can’t hear the Ghostbusters or Darth Vadar activities on the TV in the living room. My iHome is set up, and I’m listening to one of my favorite Dario Marionelli scores. I have my cup of coffee, and I’m good to go.

For those that read my blog with any regularity, you know that I’ve been unemployed since April, and was at war between my writing desire, and my professional legal career. Fear not, dear hearts, for I have come to a solution. One that more than a few of you have recommended after hearing of my plight.

(Insert another drum roll here. Hey - I was a drummer, we never get solos).

I’m going to start my own virtual paralegal service.


There. I said it. It’s out there for the world to see. Whew! That wasn’t so hard.

Ah, but alas, I know it will be hard. I’m no stranger to running a business: I was a partner in a cleaning business that did really well, and could have even expanded if we wanted it to, but it was extremely physically demanding, and the legal world and school was calling me at the time. Prior to that, I had a secretarial service that only did moderately well. I got what I put into that one, which I admit, wasn’t enough. That was the mid ‘90s though, and the internet was still fairly new, and a pretty slow way to work. Technology has advanced so much since then that I think, if I do it correctly, I can make a pretty good go of it.

I still have a lot of background work and research to do before I hang the shingle, but I am now motivated. One of the terrible things about depression after a job loss, is the inability to concentrate. I already feel invigorated with new purpose, and can feel my ‘spidey senses’ coming around again.


I’m hoping to capitalize on this horrible economy by being a budgetary option to law firm’s whose clients don’t want to pay outrageous fees. Or even to solo practitioners and companies who don’t want the extra payroll. This could be a boon time for us little legal entrepreneurs, if done right.

I’m also going to INCORPORATE my writing skills into what I offer. No longer will I allow it to be a negative smear on my record. My writing is an ASSET to any professional endeavor I undertake, it always has been, and it always will be. Those that disagree will just have to miss out on my fabulous creativity, and ability to “think outside the box.” (do we even say that anymore?)

So now it’s time for me to get busy getting this off the ground. Time to think of a company name, register everything, research the heck out of everything, promote and market the hell out of it, and prepare for the torrent of business that will soon head my way. Ha ha.

Daunted? Hell yes. Determined? Even more so.

6 comments:

  1. I'm excited for you Amy! I wish you lots of luck with this new venture... I have no doubt that you can achieve this goal. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where's the like button? Whoo Hoo! You know what old Tom Edison said, right? "Genius: one percent inspiration and 99 percent perspiration" Have at it, my friend! And while you're at it, why not put the desktop in the office?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Read your letter to Hope in FFW Newsletter...I think you have found a great solution to mixing your skills in the legal field and in writing, You go, Girl. I am excited for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you ladies! @Jan, I think it will eventually migrate in here once I clear more space. Especially with the holidays coming up and a need for somewhere to put the tree. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Luck Amy. I am sure you can make it work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just got around to reading my FFW and saw your letter. I agree with Hope that if you don't have to work for someone who is afraid of you having a life outside of work, all the better. I wish you all the best in your new venture. I think you're definitely making lemonade out of your lemons.

    ReplyDelete